It's wonderful that cooking is something you love — and it's absolutely worth finding ways to keep doing it! COPD can make standing for long periods and dealing with heat really tough on the body, especially in a warm kitchen environment.
Here are some practical tips that may help:
- Sit while prepping — Use a sturdy Show Full Answer
It's wonderful that cooking is something you love — and it's absolutely worth finding ways to keep doing it! COPD can make standing for long periods and dealing with heat really tough on the body, especially in a warm kitchen environment.
Here are some practical tips that may help:
- Sit while prepping — Use a sturdy stool or chair at the counter to reduce the physical strain of standing
- Prep in stages — Break cooking into smaller steps with rest breaks in between rather than doing everything at once
- Keep the kitchen cool — Use a fan, open a window, or run the AC to lower the temperature while cooking
- Use a slow cooker or instant pot — These require minimal hands-on time and generate less heat than stovetop cooking
- Prep ingredients ahead of time — Do chopping and measuring earlier in the day when you have more energy
- Stay hydrated — Drinking water helps regulate body temperature and keeps mucus thinner Chicken is actually a great choice for COPD-friendly cooking — it contains an amino acid that may help support lung tissue repair. Simple, nutritious meals don't have to be exhausting to make!
Always check in with your doctor if overheating or fatigue during light activity is becoming more frequent, as it's worth monitoring.
July 28
It would be a lot easier to cook in the air conditioning and a lot easier to breathe
August 9
I might also add that I keep a cool, damp towel around the back of my neck if I'm going to be in the kitchen for more than 5 minutes. I'm joking about the time, but I never did like to cook so the less time I can spend in the kitchen the better. I do do a lot of crock pot cooking though and just the amount of time it takes to prepare the veggies can heat us up in no time with the humidity too @A MyCOPDTeam Member. Good luck 7/28/26
Mentioned Users
A MyCOPDT...
July 28