Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

Which I have never tried or cough syrup that help break up the mucus from the phelm , I hope someone can help me make a decision so I can breathe better my cough is hard and nothing is breaking up the mucus seems very thick thank you for letting me know which is better

August 9
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

A member with COPD asked for help deciding between Mucinex and cough syrup to break up thick mucus after recovering from bacterial pneumonia,... Read more

A member with COPD asked for help deciding between Mucinex and cough syrup to break up thick mucus after recovering from bacterial pneumonia, and the community responded with both practical tips and warm encouragement. Several members recommended trying Mucinex, using a nebulizer, and speaking with a doctor about prescription options like Singulair for breaking up phlegm and a steroid nasal spray for post-nasal drip. The original poster gave updates over several weeks, sharing that Mucinex helped some and that prednisone and antibiotics eventually brought relief, though recovery felt like a slow and exhausting process.

A MyCOPDTeam Member

Call your doctor, sounds more like a Exacerbation, and may need Antibiotics and Steroid such as prednisone.
Don't mess around with it. It could lead to something worse and go septic. You don't want that! I did, twice. it was not fun. Learned my lesson. πŸ˜ŠπŸ™πŸ™πŸŒΉ

August 9 (edited)
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Well@ Harborgurl, I cant really offer any advice but simply acknowledge your frustration with all of this and offer you my prayers. I pray that you start feeling better soon.

August 14
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I ve had this problem so many times , the Mucinex is good, but when I see my Pulmonologist, she prescribes singular, now that's an Asthma drug, but what it does really good is breaks up the phlegm in your lungs and trying blowing into a flutter a few times a day, your health care provider should be able to just give you one.

August 9
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I'd call your doctor if I where you.

August 9
A MyCOPDTeam Member

So happy to hear that you are on the mend @A MyCOPDTeam Member! In a couple of days you probably won't know you were ever sick! Just kidding because I know these things take a while, but I AM happy you are better. Hugs, Chris 8/25/26

August 25

Related Questions

View All