Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Cambridge, ON

My Pulmonary specialist recommends that I take a new drug called Daxas, which is supposed to help those who suffer most often with exacerbations.
It has been approved by the Canadian Government, but is not covered by our drug coverage.

April 12, 2015
 · 
Be the first to react
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I take azithromycin on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I also take N-acetyl cystieine and the combination seem to work well. I have been mucous / cough free for 15 months.

April 13, 2015
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Daxas is known as Daliresp in the US and roflumilast in the rest of the world. It was designed to reduce the amount of mucous produced, thereby reducing exacerbations especially in folks with chronic bronchitis. People who have taken it have seen reductions in the numbers of exacerbations experienced. If you're having exacerbations, this is one way to see if you can't control them. The alternative is to see if your doc will approve azithromycin on a prophylactic basis. People either take 250 mg per day or every other day or three times a week. Results with that have been very good, too.

Jean

April 12, 2015
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member. The azithromycin is prescription but the NAC is not. You can order it from Amazon or any vitamin/supplement store. I must also add that I have two Advanced PureAir air purifiers (one in the den and one in my bedroom). I also wear an AirTamer personal air purifier if I feel that I will be in close quarters with others that may be ill. At night, I use an eucalyptus / camphor / menthol rub that ups my O2 several points before sleeping. Honestly though, I feel the NAC has made the difference with the azithromycin.. (It is commonly used by cystic fibrosis patients).

April 17, 2015
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@ jean. Hi yes I've,e been on azithromycin for 10yrs or so one mon, wed, fri. . I found after awhile it started to work and I won,t be without it now. Less excaserbations. Hope this helps you or someone . X

April 13, 2015
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Probably I'd very expensive.

April 13, 2015

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Keswick, ON

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Orlando, FL