Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

I grew up in an age when a lady did NOT spit. How do you handle this issue? Personally, I never have bee able to spit so I cough it up then swallow it. The Drs. seem to be okay with that but one nurse tried to argue with me about it once, that I needed to learn how to spit. Since she was the first one to ever tell me that I ignored her. Just curious. The young kids today, both sexes, are always spitting. I'm offended by it. I don't have to watch them anymore since I no longer have to… read more

May 14, 2016
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member, I think I would throw up if I made myself swallow it. It's much more nasty to swallow it than it is to dispose of it into a kleenex. Your mother is wrong, and you're old enough to know better. I don't mean to sound so harsh, but really.... that wouldn't be much different than eating your own snot. Gross!

May 16, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

When I'm curious about what color the sputum is, I spit in the sink in the my bathroom. Yiu can also spit into a tissue if necessary. There's nothing wrong with swallowing it. The only reason to spit is to check the color and sometimes that's really important.

May 14, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

You all keep saying spit into a tissue, go somewhere private and spit, but didn't you read the ladies comment. She CAN'T spit. She can't get it up high enough out of her throat to spit. I have the same problem and there IS no choice but to swallow....

May 20, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have the same exact problem so I understand what you are going through. I personally can't get it up far enough out of my throat to spit it out so I have no other choice but to swallow! This has always concerned me because I know how important it is to see the color because I'm in my 4th stage. I have tried everything this side of actually throwing up. I just can't spit it out and I do try with everything inside me!

May 17, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

but you havnt got her mother, i had one like that , do it my way or else

May 16, 2016

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Georgetown, KY

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Georgetown, KY

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Colorado Springs, CO