Is it normal to have WAY more difficulty breathing when lying on my back?
Many people with COPD find it very difficult or impossible to be either on their stomachs or flat on their backs; it’s very common. Either position puts a lot more weight on your lungs and gravity takes over. Many people find that raising the head of the bed either with a bed that raises and lowers or by simply putting bricks or wood blocks under the head of the bed. Some people use wedge pillows or just more pillows. If your head is higher than the rest of you gravity helps instead of hurting.
Hi @A MyCOPDTeam Member...
Well, when I think about your question, I visualize 2 elongated sacks which have some roundness to them when vertical. Blowing ALL of our air OUT is our biggest trouble...
So hmmm, it may be that when we lay down, they flatten and may even droop full weight, to the sides...
Am I on to something here????
Heck, even talking is more uncomfortable on our back!
LoL...! Blowing air out is like wearing a suit of armor to go jogging in......
Cheryl, Please stop laying on your back.
Nice to meet you.
SuZz, in San Diego....
When I go outside, without any oxygen, that is how I breath till I get back in the house, in with the nose, out with mouth, and when I go to bed. One thing about getting up in the night, when you have to go to bathroom real quick, is you don't always have enough time to get there, very aggravating. My bathroom is 2 rooms from me. YUK !!
One thing you need to do is learn how to breathe, it helps me. When I first go to bed, I breathe out hard, and in hard, several times, for some reason it calms me, and helps me breathe easier, you have to do it several times and do it every night... breath out, breathe in through nose, out with mouth a long breath, do it till you calm your breathing....hope this helps you, it does me, and even sitting, do it....
Yes, it does for me, I lay on my right side with three pillows, I have my oxygen on all night, altho sometimes the canulla falls our of my nose, even then you may get a small headache.