Neither you nor your doctor will know unless both of you are smart about testing your O2 saturation levels. Most docs, including some pulmonologists, test your sats after you've been sitting for 20 minutes in the exam room, and most people will test just fine under those conditions. A smart doctor, and a smart patient, will make sure that you get up and walk or march in place, or do something to exert yourself for at least a minute before he slips the oximeter on. A really smart and conscientious doc will give you a six minute walk test whether or not you use O2, as that is really the definitive test in the US to determine the need for O2.
In the US the standard for being eligible for O2 is an O2 saturation of 88 or less either at rest or with exertion. Many of us don't know what our O2 saturation levels are without an oximeter. Some people think they need O2 when they get short of breath. While it's true that some people who are short of breath do need O2, that's not always a sign of needing O2.
The problem with not using O2 when you need it is that chronically low O2 levels lead to right heart and brain damage. I'm a COPD advocate and I talk with lots of people with COPD. It's very clear to me that many have cognitive function losses that are undoubtedly related to low O2 saturation levels.
Docs who allow that to happen aren't doing you any favors, and are definitely violating the precept "do no harm". Harm can certainly be done by not doing anything. Don't let your doc do that to you! It's unethical, immoral and a case could be made for it being worthy of censure.
I did 6 minute walk and was ok. Sleep one was below 88 so on O2 at night. Guess I will only know if that is helping if fatigue and some other problems improve or if I have another sleep test. I know it won’t cure or change COPD. I think it is helping. I also have severe neuropathy in feet with poor circulation. Pain has lessened some. God is good.
all the time...and all the time God is good
if your doctor is suggesting you need oxygen then your doing more harm than good depriving youreslf of it. Using the oxygen will help you do more things than you can do just now. good luck.
Your doctor should tell you or the hospital!