Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

I know COPD and anxiety go hand in hand but lately I have been having a lot of anxiety attacks. I mean daily even sometimes several a day. So I was wondering if I used my rescue inhaler when I feel an attack coming on if it would help stop the attack. Thanks for any advice.

September 18, 2020
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

The doc suggested 15 minutes of biofeedback relaxation techniques, or pursed lip breathing first, @A MyCOPDTeam Member. Anxiety is a tricky thing, where you have to learn calming techniques to try and gain control of a situation and not just medicate yourself.

Please know that you can build up resistance to the rescue inhalers, too, so you want to use them as sparingly as possible, while still using them when needed.

What @A MyCOPDTeam Member and @A MyCOPDTeam Member have recommended are good suggestions. You might want to look at some youtube videos for calming techniques. The anti-anxiety techniques don’t solve everything, as anxiety is the body’s real response to uncomfortable situations, as well as your body’s way to increase air intake and circulation when you need it, but giving yourself 15 minutes to try alternate methods before reaching for the rescue inhaler may mean that you’re getting control of your triggers and using your rescue inhaler less, easing a vicious anxiety circle.

Hugs to you.

September 18, 2020
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Certainly use your rescue inhaler during an anxiety attack....if it helps, that's great. Many of us have major anxiety issues; after all, not being able to breathe is a huge problem and causes great anxiety if breathing is compromised. Not being able to breathe is very frightening because you could die.

Anxiety is usually controllable and manageable, just like like your COPD can be managed and controlled, but none of us come knowing how to do that, so we have to learn. To learn how to do this, you need a good teacher. Cognitive Behavioral Therapists are the people who know how to teach you manage and control your anxiety. They can also help you if you need medicine to help you get started.

Meds can mask the symptoms, but they don't help you learn how to manage your own situation.

September 20, 2020
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hi, @A MyCOPDTeam Member - you need to put the @ sign before someone’s name or handle to be sure your question gets answered.

I don’t think anyone in this particular series of postings is a nurse practitioner, but @A MyCOPDTeam Member is our subject matter expert, I believe.

Otherwise, we just all share suggestions of what we’ve experienced and liked or disliked in the hope it may help another.

October 3, 2020
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I am sorry about that. Did you have asthma when younger because of allergies. Do you eat dairy produce? That irritates some lungs. Nowadays allergies can be identified more easily and pure soap and food without preservatives can be found. My shopping is being delivered on Sunday between 11 and 1. I am 75 now and have had a great life and my husband left in 83 and we were broke and traumatised but recovered well, like the Doll free of the Dolls house. Ibsen. Except I kept my daughters and my house.

September 19, 2020
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I had terrible anxiety attacks for years. I can’t remember the name of the book but it was very helpful self talk exercises, etc.Everything is probably online now. I was on Ativan for a long time but when I moved to be with my sister the doctor here prescribed Citalopram and it works a lot better for me. I have had a few mild episodes in 10 years that I can talk my self down from. So much better than not being able to get myself out the door.

September 18, 2020

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Manteca, CA

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Waynesville, NC

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In