Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Lincoln, CA

I'm a mouth breather so I feel I'm not getting the oxygen when I sleep. What about a chin strap or mouth gard?

December 12, 2023
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Even as a mouth breather, you're getting at least some of the 02. As you breathe in, you're breathing through both your nose and your mouth. Unless you hold your nose closed, your'll get 02 through your nose.

December 12, 2023
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I too am a mouth breather. I have allergies so I can't always wear a cannula in my nose, so I will often just tighten the cannula around my mouth instead. Or I let the cannula hang from one ear and rest on my pillow when I sleep on my side letting the air hit down by my mouth.. No way would I ever tape my mouth closed, that would create way to much anxiety. Good luck. And I hope you find a comfortable way to sleep.

December 12, 2023
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I wear the nasil cannula for oxygen at night. I wake up with my mouth open I'm dizzy and lightheaded in the morning. It scares me. I sleep 6 to 7 hours straight no problem until I wake up.

December 12, 2023
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hi Robin, are you talking about sleeping with Oxygen?

December 12, 2023
A MyCOPDTeam Member

And your casual is across the room lol I do it about once a week

December 12, 2023

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Gibsons, BC

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭