Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

I developed severe anxiety, I don't want to continue calling it panic, and agoraphobia starting in 2021, and it's gotten worse and worse over the years
It's not that I fear something random or imaginary will happen to me, it's the way I look and behave if I become short of breath. People will come and ask if I'm okay or need help and if there's nowhere to sit down I may start to panic and urinate
I am also weak because of not knowing the value of exercise because I got no education from the… read more

November 10, 2025
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

That's one reason I've been driving a lot for the past few years. It would be so easy to stay home and forget about going out, which would be an early step to agoraphobia for me. I figure the time will come when the doctor takes the keys away from me anyhow., and I'm hanging on as long as I can.

November 11, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

yes , but had it before oxygen. Sent from my iPadKaren McCain

November 10, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hi gmanexec.One doc ,app, I did not feel well,almost canceled.When you feel sick,you can go see the doctor.Right? I was sitting there waiting my portable stopped, Panic.Took a couple breaths.and put my backup battery.It did not work.Just then in wakes in the doc.She called out,they brought in a large canster.I had air.Was scary.I live across the street.so I did not have far to get home set up to charged the batteries. and keep them charged all the time.Things happen.Good luck an enjoy each day,if you can.

November 10, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member I feel your pain, I go through anxiety just about everytime I go out, when I go out, at one time I wouldn't go out for fear of running out of oxygen, when I have appointments I carry a small portable tank and my Inogen g4 as my backup just in case I run out of oxygen which has happen to me, I've learned over the years to manage my oxygen, move moderate, take breaks when at rest I either turn my oxygen down or off, depends on my situation, it took a while for me to get to that point, I don't do it all the time just when I'm in a crunch, thats why when at appintments I ask if they have oxygen availble to conserve mine. I do understand what you're going through I don't go out unless I have to but I'm not just sitting around either,I'm trying to be as active as my body and mind will allow, I'm in no hurry to do anything now a days, so I sincerely hope you get better with this, one day at a time, take care and breathe easy😃

November 14, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Thanks for all the replies and I have the Inogen g5 and a couple of times I set it down too hard and the battery popped out, so it turned off and wouldn't turn back on! Now I realize a push on the sides or opening the bottom to push the battery back in gets it back running when I turn it back on. Scary the first time it happened and of course out in public.
Every once in a while I have small victories and hope they will last, but sometimes they don't. When I go to visit my husband and using my portable I have to ring the doorbell and wait for someone to open the door. Every time I would be anxious if they didn't come right away and then when they did I'd have to sit down as soon as I got in the door and sit tense with weird breathing.
When I went on Sunday they were very short staffed and I stood calmly for at least 4 or 5 minutes and when someone finally opened the door I sat down in the chair that I usually use but without anxious breathing! This was totally amazing but it may not happen the next time but it gives me some hope that it will eventually end.

November 11, 2025 (edited)

Related Questions

View All