Well Doug you're going to have to do it like you did when you were a child and had to learn what hot was. You touch the stove till you get burned. π€
Don't be stupid about it. But you need to pay attention to how your breathing is when you go outside. Each day or hour will be a little warmer go outside. When you realize your breathing is getting more difficult to breathe, make note of that temperature. Then see how long you can be out in it. [Humidity and air quality will also play a roll in it. more later on that.] Every year you will find that it has changed and will have to relearn it. Mostly because of each exacerbation we had.
So I test as the spring season warms up into summer. I still have not hit my limit yet but it has been up to 91 already this year. My ideal outside temperature is between 67 and 73 degrees. My limit was 94 last year. Right now I can handle about an hour out in the 88 degree heat before having difficulties in my breathing. Then I go inside to AC. There are days that are in to the 90's that I can only handle a sort 10-20 minuets max outside in the heat. You will know because it is harder to breathe, the air is hot and sometimes heavier.
@A MyCOPDTeam Member Is right most people with lung issues start to feel the heat at 30C degrees which is 86F degrees.
I wonder how the people in Europe handle the heat without air conditioning? I in my condition right now don't believe I could handle it with out air-conditioning.
Good luck with defining your limits. But you also should pay attention to humidity, barometric pressure, and air quality. All those numbers need a save zone, and a limit or danger zone. Cross that line and you'll have a bad day the next day. Stay within limits and you will have a good breathing day the next day. That is what I have learn about my limits with heat and weather. Hope it helps someone else.
tough one but every body's body starts to stress over 30 degrees
Great questions β and honestly, there's no one-size-fits-all temperature limit for everyone with COPD. Each person's tolerance is different, so it's really about paying attention to how your body responds.
Here are some signs that the heat may be affecting your breathing:
- Increased shortness of breath compared to your Show Full Answer