Has anyone with COPD experienced a little incontinence while walking and had trouble catching their breath?
This is actually more common than people might think! The effort of breathing hard during activity can put pressure on the bladder, and the strain of coughing β which is very common with COPD β can also contribute to Show Full Answer
Has anyone with COPD experienced a little incontinence while walking and had trouble catching their breath?
This is actually more common than people might think! The effort of breathing hard during activity can put pressure on the bladder, and the strain of coughing β which is very common with COPD β can also contribute to this.
Some MyCOPDTeam members have shared similar experiences, especially when exertion triggers both breathlessness and bladder leakage at the same time.
A few things that may help:
- Pelvic floor exercises (like Kegels) can strengthen bladder control over time
- Pursed lip breathing while walking can help manage breathlessness and reduce the overall strain on your body
- Pacing yourself during walks β slowing down before you feel too breathless can help avoid that intense pressure buildup
It's worth mentioning this to a doctor, as they can check if anything else is contributing and may refer to a pelvic floor specialist.
Most importantly, don't let embarrassment stop the conversation β it's a very real and manageable issue, and healthcare providers hear about it regularly! π
June 10
DaveGunderson yes it was horrible couldn't catch my breathe for nothing freaked and of course I peed . I actually thought I was dying at that moment. Only time its happened.
June 10
Hey Dave G,
Have had a few experiences of late, it just takes a slight pressure on my bladder. I was just chalking it up to a weak Prostate.
June 10
Yes I've did those since my first child great help with the whole lower areas.
June 24