Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Hull, UK

If your UK based condition is managed via a community respiratory team (nurses) I would welcome your experiences, particularly around annual or 6 monthly follow-up and expectations around diagnostic or monitoring tests under NHS guidelines.

My hubby was diagnosed several years ago and has deteriorated during this period. Our local ICC (Humber and Yorkshire) has a commissioned community service for COPD locally. He receives questionnaires (virtual) reviews annually only and has never been… read more

January 11
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hi Hazel, Thanks again for response. Can I ask how you were referred to the hospital based team at either Hull Royal Infirmary or any of the NLAG hospitals? I understand the community team on north and south bank are commissioned separately. Do you see the consultant at a hospital or community site?

Just trying to understand who and how to gain access to hospital respiratory care. Our GP practice is very much into virtual and ACP care.

With thanks and good luck with your follow-up.

It's a minefield and I am retired NHS!

BW

Lesley

January 11
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I'm with copd nurses team. I call them when I'm starting with an exacerbation and someone comes yo my home, does my obs listens to my chest and takes a sputum sample to the hospital for me. They can also prescribe antibiotics and steroids if needed. I'm also registered with a respiritory consultant, I'm seeing him in February. Hopefully some new meds he can try as the ones I've been on for 18yrs don't seem to do any good anymore

January 11
MyCOPDTeam

What experiences have others had with community-based COPD care and follow-up expectations?

It sounds concerning that your husband's care seems focused mainly on exacerbations rather than ongoing monitoring, especially since his condition has deteriorated. While the search results don't specifically address UK NHS Show Full Answer

What experiences have others had with community-based COPD care and follow-up expectations?

It sounds concerning that your husband's care seems focused mainly on exacerbations rather than ongoing monitoring, especially since his condition has deteriorated. While the search results don't specifically address UK NHS community respiratory services, they do highlight what comprehensive COPD management should include.

Effective COPD management typically involves four key components:
- Regular assessment and monitoring of COPD
- Reducing risk factors
- Managing stable COPD
- Managing exacerbations

A comprehensive COPD management team often includes various specialists such as physicians, respiratory therapists, case managers, registered nurses, dieticians, and pharmacists—not just exacerbation-focused care.

Given your husband's deterioration over several years with only annual virtual questionnaires, it may be worth advocating for:
- More frequent monitoring, especially since his condition is worsening
- Lung function tests to objectively track disease progression
- A referral to a respiratory consultant for specialist assessment
- Discussion about pulmonary rehabilitation, which can be life-changing for many

Don't hesitate to reach out to your healthcare provider if symptoms worsen. Regular communication with the care team is essential for proper disease management. If your current service isn't providing adequate monitoring, you have the right to request a referral or ask about additional support services.

January 11

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Subscriber asked a question 💭