Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Sherbrooke NS

I use to love winter and being outside. Now I can’t stand the cold. 65 degrees and I have a t-shirt and sweatshirt sweater or something on to warm up.
Is this common with COPD or is it just me?

May 17
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have always been cold, even when i was a youngster @A MyCOPDTeam Member. However, COPD does have many side effects and judging from the AI answer it also affects us with cold. Last year we had a problem with the heat here and I was told to crank the heat up as high as it will go (I don't pay for my heat). The highest setting is 90 degrees and the lowest is 55 degrees...there were a number of days where the heat didn't even register on the thermostat! I hope you can keep warm enough because you don't want to catch a cold or anything. Have a good day and think warm thoughts. Hugs, Chris May 17, 2026

May 17
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Yes, I find that I bring a sweater wherever I go now

May 17
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I think that body weight can make a difference in how we handle cold weather too. I have lost weight and notice that I don't tolerate cold at all anymore. I am always cold when visiting with my children, so I take a sweater.

May 17
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Same here. It’s hard to tell if it’s our age or what.

May 17
MyCOPDTeam

It's definitely not just you! Cold intolerance is very common with COPD. Cold air can make breathing harder, and your body works extra hard just to get enough oxygen — which can leave you feeling chilled and fatigued even without much physical effort.

Many MyCOPDTeam members share the same experience, looking forward to Show Full Answer

It's definitely not just you! Cold intolerance is very common with COPD. Cold air can make breathing harder, and your body works extra hard just to get enough oxygen — which can leave you feeling chilled and fatigued even without much physical effort.

Many MyCOPDTeam members share the same experience, looking forward to warmer days because cold weather makes breathing noticeably more difficult. Here are some tips to help manage the cold:

- Wear several loose layers of clothing to stay warm without restricting breathing
- Cover your nose and mouth with a loosely worn scarf or face mask when outside
- Try breathing in through your nose outdoors — it warms the air before it reaches your lungs
- If you use oxygen, keep the tubing inside your clothing to warm the air
- Keep your inhalers warm, as they work best between 50–80°F
- Avoid going out on extremely cold or windy days when possible

Staying warm and protecting your lungs from cold air can really help reduce flare-ups during cooler months!

May 17

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
New Smyrna Beach, FL

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
San Diego, CA