Whenever I get sick;ie:upper respiratory infection, it always goes into my lungs and causes me more of a problem trying to breathe.Especially when I get a cough,which causes me serious shortness of breath.How can I get my doctor to prescribe emergency oxygen for whenever I need it?
I bought my own nebuliser as when I get flare ups doctor used to come and send for ambulance usually in middle of night used to get to hospital about twenty miles away. Have two or three double nebulisers then they would say you can go home so had to get daughter out of bed to bring me home so bought my own just use it when required
I also get the acute shortness of breath but have never been prescribed oxygen nor has it been suggested! When having a flare up i do not believe oxygen is prescribed as it is normally used in the later stages of COPD when nothing else works. I am waiting to see a Chest Specialist to see if i need a Nebuliser etc.
You need to go to your pulmonary doctor and have the 3 minute test of walking to see what you oxygen level is. If your oxygen level goes down to like 88 they will automatically prescribe the oxygen. I took the test twice before it went that low...My oxygen level goes lower according to the weather but the norm for oxygen is 95 to 100 according to the oxymeter. You may need to buy an oxymeter to find out what your levels are. Mine goes lower when I feel very tired. Good luck.
@A MyCOPDTeam Member what has been said is true. I was tested while walking and I dropped to 87 a d that was enough to get me oxygen, however now I even take 3-5 steps and it drops to 70-77 and sometimes a little lower. It is scary, as it must be for you. Be assertive with your Dr. Research a little by googling and walk in there and tell him what you want done. Because Marie, whether its copd or something else, it still is scary and awful to go through. Please keep us all up to date. Bless you and take care and try not to exert much. 😊
that's correct about 88. your doc can arrange that for you. I am on oxygen 24/7 and need it although I hate it. I can't do without it and that makes me dependent on it. pretty scary at times..