Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Darlington, SC

I've had a lot of congestion lately if I sit up or prop up it's not so bad if I lie down in feel like I'm being smothered, do I need to prop up at night when I sleep, anyone else have this problem, , also if I lay down with my c-pap on it can't breath good and end up taking it off,,,, thanks everyone

May 27, 2016
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

you should never be lying flat...those days are gone. I am surprised your dr. didn't explain this to you. Also, ask your dr about a thing called an aerobika you attach it to a breathing treatment machine and it will help you cough and clear your lungs. Look it up

June 29, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@ TinaGoode Hi, the number 1 thing you WANT to do is cut down, wayyyyy down on milk!! Anything with milk or cream is going to produce mucus. Next, drink a LOT of water, water thins out mucus. Next ask your Dr if it's ok for you to take a OTC Mucinex every morning and every night. It will really help you. Good luck!

June 18, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I sleep at a 45 degree angle find it helps alot

June 10, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

You can get a "wedge" type pillow to elevate your head when sleeping. Got mine at Amazon.

June 2, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have slept in a recliner for 18 yrs......could not sleep in bed with pillpws or wedge....smothered to death.....I just lay back in my recliner according to how bad my congestion is at the time.....good lucl....hugs.

June 2, 2016

Related Questions

View All